March 25, 2011

Do Not Underestimate The Need For Sleep

This week I have been trying to figure out my mental trigger for finding a healthier sleeping pattern. I have for most of my life fought going to bed at a descent time. Some might say that 11:00pm-12:00am is not bad, but I have always known that it is not healthy on the norm to go to bed that late and wake up at 6:00am or 7:00am in the morning. I never have felt very rested and have probably suffered some with my health due to my sleeping habits.

Anyways I started thinking about the triggers I have found to help me with my eating habits and my exercising. I talked to my wife about sleep and it started me thinking about the benefits of sleep in the weight loss process.

I am a firm believer that you must ask the right questions to get the right answers. So, that lead me to the thought that in the overnight I can sometimes lose 6 or 7 lbs just in sleeping. I am not sure how that works I am not a scientist, but as a thinker it lead me to the question why? And that question lead me to the thought that weight is a stress on the body, and stress has a correlation with weight gain. When we allow our body to recover from the stresses of life through sleep we allow our body to work more efficiently. When we cut our sleep short we cause our body to go into distress and one of the ways our body deals with distress is holding onto fat. That is not the only problem that too little sleep can cause, but for this discussion it is very relevant. Without sleep our body does not have the opportunity to reset.

When we sleep it signals our bodies night crew to come in and fix what the day crew messed up.
As I look back maybe it is the fear of the dark that I suffered as a child that got me into a bad habit of staying up late. Maybe it was just wanting to know what was going on around me. I don't know, but what I do know is I am going to do my best to go to sleep at 10:00 every night and test the thoughts that have come to me. Which means it is time for me to go to bed now.

  

No comments: