February 11, 2011

Reporting in Week 4

Beginning of Week 4
Eating Less- This week was pretty good except for Super Bowl Sunday. I ate pretty good, although looking back I did not eat as much as I thought I did except the pheasant fingers that I made, those were yummy and mostly protein, so I was not super worried. I also heard that spicy food increases your metabolism so I ate a few jalapeƱo poppers :) That to counter the few chips and the small piece of butterscotch brownie I ate. 
I did notice this week that I was eating faster than I have been, but I have been able to control my portions, so all is pretty much going according to plan. Thursday I faced the temptation of emotionally eating after receiving a call from my daughter crying and telling me she was in an accident. Thank goodness everyone was okay. I feel God had his hand in that when I saw the vehicles involved. I did increase my munchies slightly, but tried to stay away from a lot of carbohydrates. I feel like I actually have control of my auto intake reflex. Once again we ate out on Thursday night and I asked for a togo box immediately and put half my dinner away before even taking a bite. 

As a note about emotional eating: I was talking to my wife and she suggested that emotional eating was probably related to that period of development when we are seeking comfort from our parents and they put something in our mouth to calm us down. I believe we have to find within ourselves that emotional trigger that causes us to eat emotionally and decide to turn it off. This might be easier said than done, as the trigger may be caused by something very emotional. Once we do decide to turn it off we will have to replace it with something physical, spiritual, and or emotional. Some may find that exercise works for them others may find prayer, meditation, reading, or acts of service work for them. But I believe the answer lies within ourselves. 

Move More -After large losses the first 2 weeks and almost no loss on the 3rd week I was afraid of a let down in momentum. I realized it would come but I felt like I should have at least lost a pound. Oh well, I decided that I was feeling better than I have in years so I would push myself past the wall. Besides my wife thinks I am starting to look hot ;~) It is nice, most mornings she will get up and do exercises with me. We are now up to 30 minutes exercise every morning, so we are feeling the burn pretty good, by the 3rd 10 minute segment we are doing about half of the workout in their modified mode. I am debating whether to change my routine to something else at this point. Doing the same thing day after day seems a bit boring, and part of increasing my movement I think should be increasing the types of movements as well, engaging new muscles or the same muscles in different ways.  In the effort to the different types of movements I decided that I would also intentionally not park at the closest stall when I go to a store. As a note I did sit on the exercise ball while watching the Super Bowl so while I ate some goodies I was burning calories at the same time. 
Tomorrows weigh ins should be kinder to me. 


End of Week 4 279.2 Watch it fall!
Eat Less, Move More. 
Becoming physically what I already am mentally. 

4 comments:

Heather said...

That is a great idea to put half of your food your order in a togo box! I will have to keep that in mind.

I think it is awesome DeeDee is working out with you in the mornings. If you ever want to barrow my Sweating to the Oldies you can. I love them!

I am so grateful that your daughter was watched over!

Cory Milligan said...

Thanks again Heather. I will keep that in mind. I love the oldies, but I am not sure about that Simmons guy.
Our Heavenly Father definitely had his hand in protecting Lauree.

Char said...

I finally found you

Cory Milligan said...

Welcome to the Mind of Milligan :) Hope you enjoy it.