May 31, 2011

Becoming Physically What We Already Are Mentally


Becoming Physically what we already are Mentally is probably the least obvious yet most important aspect of the program we design for ourselves. This principle forces us to look at why we want to lose weight and what we want to look like when we are done. It is important to note that those with eating disorders often look in the mirror and see what they do not want to see. So, instead of looking in the mirror and seeing what we do not want to see, we need to assess where we are at briefly, but dwell more on what we want to become. When we look in the mirror we want to  briefly see where are at, but more importantly we should imagine definitions forming and unwanted parts of us disappearing. This does two things, if we are honest with ourselves. First, it gives us a hope. We are looking for progress. Second, it locks in to our subconscious a blue print of where we want it to take us. So, be very careful and as detailed as you can when you program it into the subconscious. Always make it a positive image.

The subconscious mind is a powerful tool. It is like a heat seeking missile once we tell it what we want, it will find a way to get there for good or for bad. The subconscious mind is resourceful and creative and it has no limits to its potential possibilities. So, we must tell it what we want then listen as it guides us there. Once we are locked in to the subconscious we do not need a formal diet to tell us what and what not to eat, our body will start telling us what we should and shouldn't eat. It will start telling us if we are not exercising right, it will nudge us in one direction or another until we either tell it we no longer want that goal or until we comply with its demands. It is a good idea to expose ourselves to as many ideas as we can during this process because the subconscious will filter and relay information to our conscious mind, those things which are right for us. For example, as I did this, words like metabolism and fiber came to my mind.  I began doing some research on what they are and what they do. This led me to a list of different kinds of foods that, funny enough, I realized I was craving. I also noticed that by eating the things that were good for me the need for sweets either led me to better healthier alternatives, or the cravings were minimized.

Who we are is an important question we have to ask ourselves in the process of losing weight, because often times those of us who have gained a lot of extra pounds have made a conscious or subconscious decision to gain our weight. These are usually very emotional reasons not always logical. We have trained ourselves to eat more for comfort even though in the end eating for comfort does not solve the problems we are trying to fix with food. Not only that but our mindset when we eat for comfort tends to tell our body to hold onto it. Depression and anxiety have been linked to weight gain. Understanding this can be helpful in flipping that switch that will help us to eat less than we want. Instead of eating more learn how to be comforted by flavor rather than a full tummy. Then practice keeping the flavor in your mouth longer and savor it. Truly enjoy it, try to understand why that flavor brings you comfort.

Sleep is another subject that should be addressed when it comes to losing weight because it effects not only our mental effectiveness but also our physical effectiveness in losing weight. A tired body does not have the ability to exert itself nearly as well as a rested body. I have also found that my body seems to warm up faster in the mornings when I have gotten a good nights rest, which means my metabolism is more responsive. Mentally being awake is important especially when you are trying to push yourself. When we are exhausted our self doubts seem to have far more influence over our body. This particular principle is one that I continue to struggle through. I understand it in my head, but I am still working on getting it inside of me. Which tells me I have many more mental clicks to go before I have this all figured out. :)

Be Good! Be Kind! And Be Happy! Enjoy!

Becoming Physically what I already am Mentally.

No comments: