May 16, 2011

Eat Less- My Thoughts On Dieting

At the beginning of our Biggest Loser challenge. I shared my thoughts on diet and exercise. I was not a big fan of either. Rather my opinion has been if you eat less and move more you should be able begin losing weight. This experiment is an on going process, but so far I have tested my plan and found it has worked well for me.
In the process of discovery I have somewhat refined or maybe just defined what Eating Less and Moving More means to me. In this entry I am going to share my discoveries on Eating Less.
First as part of eating less means you must recognize what you are eating. Sometimes it is not what we eat for breakfast, lunch, or dinner that may be killing us. Sometimes it is the incidentals, those things you eat without even thinking about it, the pieces of candy from a candy bowl,  the snitching you do before you eat your meal. Sometimes it is the kinds of things you snack on. Some food is specifically designed to make you want to eat more. Everything adds up a little at a time. So, take an inventory of what you are eating.
Sometimes eating less means cutting your portions back from seconds and thirds to only eating one helping. I chose to use a smaller bowl and eating seconds only sometimes. I accomplished this by realizing that if I really liked something I did not have to eat it all right now. I sometimes would wait a half an hour to have my seconds. I also realized that when something tasted good leaving it in my mouth longer was more effective at satisfying my desire than eating more.  Another thing I realized was that if I liked it a lot I could either make it again or I could buy it again. It took the bite out of my desire to eat it all before it disappeared.
I also realized that if I limited what I could eat it left me feeling deprived and from previous experience that was asking for failure. If you feel guilty for cheating on your diet you are likely to drop the t off your diet and that mean killing it. Guilt is your enemy. No matter how you choose to deal with your eating you must avoid guilt at all cost. Guilt may cause you to gain 5 lbs even if your cheat was only 6oz. Realizing that your body has good craving and bad ones will help you also realize that it is not that hard to tell wish is which.
I also came to the conclusion that once I started eating less my body began to crave more good foods. I also began to look up the foods that I craved on the internet and discovered that many of the things that I was craving were foods that increased my metabolism. Higher metabolism means better calories are burned off easier. So, go on a mission of discovery. Find out about your cravings. Discover what your cravings will do for you or to you. Sweet is a powerful craving learn what you can do to satisfy that craving with good foods and you will find out that eating less is not so hard. Salty is another powerful craving that can be lessened by experimenting with herbs and spices or you can find Mrs. Dash seasonings, as well as I am sure many others. The key is you must learn to work with your cravings not against them.
Don't starve yourself. Eating less does not meaning not eating only controlling how much you eat. Plan your snacks eat slow, but eat something every couple of hours especially when you start to feel hunger. Don't let your body think it is starving, but don't think you have to eat a lot to stop feeling hungry. Eat a little then wait. Fat foods actually make you feel fuller for a longer period of time. I am finding that a small scoop of peanut butter is fairly satisfying.
If you eat for emotional comfort to deal with stress, you must understand that more than likely the reason you do not feel capable of dealing with stress is because of your eating. Comfort foods are a temporary solution for a permanent problem and in the end turns our emotional stress into physical stress as our body holds onto it.


The final thing I want to talk about is water intake. When I started my contest I drank lots of water. I used a 59oz container to measure my intake. I started out drinking almost 4 of those per day except on weekends. I found it harder to drink water on weekends because when I am not at work I do not always have immediate access to water. Water is good because it helps remove poisons released from your muscle tissue and fats cells through sweat and or urination. Drink lots of water. The bonus is that it helps you feel full faster just not for long.

No comments: