April 13, 2011

Thinking Beyond Your Own Comfort...

There are some subjects that make me nervous talking about. Not that I don't have my own opinion or that I am afraid to share it, but that I am not exactly sure how to share it with the reverence that it deserves. One of those subjects is homosexuality.

I do not understand homosexuality, but that does not mean that I am completely ignorant. It just means that I have to take some things on faith until my understanding can be turned into a perfect knowledge. Until then I have come to separate the homosexual, someone with same gender attraction, and homosexual acts. I do not believe that being a homosexual is a sin. That to me would go against everything I know about God. I believe God loves all his children despite their challenges. That being said I believe that homosexual acts, just as any other sexual acts outside the bonds of marriage are a sin. I also believe that man's attempt to redefine marriage does not redefine God's law of marriage nor His definition.

It would be unfair of me to condemn a man for his challenges, when I suffer from my own. Nor is it fair for me to assume that my challenges are greater than anyone else's, so I won't. I was introduced to a blog that I would like to share with you. It is www.gaymormonguy.blogspot.com. This man discusses the challenges he is facing as a practicing member of  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am grateful for his willingness to share his insights into overcoming temptation and his feelings on some very tough issues that he faces on a daily basis. In principle I believe that we might all relate to him with our own challenges.

Sometimes we have to look beyond our own comfort to understand our own faith and when we are willing to do this our own faith is increased and our ability to love is increased. And that my friends is what life is all about.

Ignorance breads fear and anger that leads to hate and violence, which will destroy our faith. We must look past our own comfort for understanding so that our faith may be confirmed.

No comments: