April 2, 2011

Reporting Week 11


This week was good. Sunday was Fast Sunday and we participated in a Break-the-fast at the church. I think potlucks are good to have once in awhile. The hard part is portioning things out. However, I feel that my new attitude toward food is working for me. I do not starve myself. I am conscious of calories, but not obsessed by them. I pay more attention to how I feel as I am eating. I never have eaten a ton of junk food, but I have cut back considerably. I use to drink a can or 2 of soda per day. I don't do that anymore. Water is good too me and good for me. I am not afraid to drink a soda once in awhile, but I can't think of why. We as a family are eating better, not a real big change in menu, but have added a few more vegetables to our plates.

Moving more has come to mean more in that I am realizing that you have to mix things up or not just move more, but move in more different ways. Thus far in my journey I have done cardio, Tai-Chi, exercise ball, yoga, upper body, lower body, abs, swimming, walking, and jogging as an arsenal of methods to move more. I still have other methods that I think I will explore. As I get lighter my ability to move in different ways increases. I do not have money for a gym membership so I am doing this all on my own. So, if I can do it just about anybody can do it with a little self motivation. I am not generally a self motivated kind of guy so it does not take a lot if you focus on the feeling of being healthier. I look forward to hiking this summer.

As I have watched myself melting in the mirror I can see the vision of what I saw from the beginning happening. As I shed pounds I have found that I have lost more than weight, I have lost some bad habits along the way. I have also lost some poor self images that I have created for myself. There is a lot of work still to go, but I am beginning to see myself as capable of more than I thought I ever could be before.

This week my primary form of exercise was jogging. It started off slow with a .5 mile jog, but increased everyday until Saturday when I jogged 3miles without walking and at the end of each run this week I ended by running the last 75 to 100 yards. I thinking that I might be able to enter a 1/2 marathon by Fall of this year.

This week I also actually added sleep as part of my routine. I set 10:00pm as my goal and made it to bed before 10:30 nearly every night. I still had a hard time waking up in the morning, but I felt better all day long.

Some of the benefits I have found so far. I don't huff and puff walking up stairs. I can touch my toes without interference. I can tie my shoe while standing up. My asthma has decreased significantly. I can get closer to my wife when I hug her :) I can fit in clothes that I have not been able to wear for a long time. In fact, I may have to go shopping soon. I feel like healthier. I feel more capable of dealing with things more often. I feel younger, more agile, and limber. I have more energy, and I sleep better.
262 lbs still dropping.
That makes my running total 38 lbs lost since January 15th of 2011
Eat Less, Move More. Becoming Physically what you already are Mentally.

No comments: