December 13, 2012

Joy To The World...

Recently we had a young woman sign up for a storage unit. She pretty much opened up to us and told us what was happening with her. She was a drug addict and it was obvious she was pregnant. She told us that she was getting herself ready to enter a recovery program, she was working with her bishop, and that she was ready to grow up.

She told us how much she loved her bishop and how he helped her to feel okay about her situation and the situation that she was bringing her child into. It was obviously not the ideal situation and the child was coming into the world with some potentially big problems. 

She wanted the storage so that she could start saving things up for her little one and to hold on to the few things she owned so she could enter a shelter prior to entering the recovery program. She told us that this was the first grown up thing she had ever done. 

She has stopped in every so often and each time her countenance has gotten brighter. It has been a beautiful thing to watch her as she has cleaned herself up. 

This morning she came in to communicate with us and let us know how things were going as well as pay her bill. She had an older woman with her, part of her support system from her church family. Her baby was in a car seat and covered in a blanket. She told us that she had just come from court where DCFS was reviewing her case, because of her situation they were thinking of taking custody of the child. However, they said that she was doing so well that they did not feel that they needed to take him from her. 
She uncovered her little baby, and I do mean little. Apparently he was born at 5 lbs 12 oz., he was tiny, and he was absolutely beautiful. His complexion was clean and pure and he looked so peaceful. We visited for awhile and as she was getting ready to leave, her and the older woman started to cover the child up in order to keep him warm from the cold. I am not sure what it was that suddenly hit me, but something did and I almost started blubbering like a baby. I say almost, because I kept my composure but inside I was blubbering, and when she left I had tears streaming down my face.

I got back to my desk and I started thinking about why I was so emotionally moved by this experience. I mean the child was beautiful and all, and he reminded me of my own daughter with how clear and peaceful he looked, but that wouldn't have such a powerful and profound effect as to hit me that deeply. I couldn't say what had just happened.

It wasn't until later that I realized what it was. As this young lady accepted help from the older lady there was an innocence about her that was so beautiful. Suddenly, I realized that this young woman who had lived a very rough life, had made many bad decisions, and had suffered many consequences for those decisions had received forgiveness in her heart and had become innocent. 

My heart is so full, and I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the atonement. God lives, Jesus is the Christ, and he was born in Bethlehem and died on Calvary all because he loves us, and so that he could take on our guilt that we might be declared innocent before God.

Joy to the World...Yes indeed, and hope, and love, and happiness too... 

No comments: