January 2, 2012

Dinner Rolls

Dinner Roll3We have been making these for years…kinda. I was introduced to the idea of dinner in a role when I was going to school. I can’t remember exactly what the ingredients were other than I believe it had cream cheese and ham. It may have had ranch dressing as well. Anyways if it didn’t have those ingredients we have added them and then some…. The past couple of days we have tried a couple of new ideas with terrific results. Previously we have used a different recipe for the roll dough, but the results of this past couple of days prompted my daughter to ask me to write the recipe down so I chose to use my blog that way she can find it while she's at school. So, now you know the why I will now tell you the how:

Dough-
1 1/2 Cups Warm Water
1/4 +Cup Canola Oil
1/3 –Cup Honey
2 Tbsp. Yeast
1/2 Tbsp. Salt
1 Cup Oat flour
1 to 1 1/2 Cups Wheat flour
*2 Tbsp. Dry Basil
* This is optional, but it is really good especially for the pizza roll.
Approximately 3 Cups of White flour.
When I say approximately I have learned that I use just as much as I need to have the dough pull away from the sides of the bowl it may be a little less or a little more thus approximately Winking smile
You will notice also that I used the + and – signs for oil and honey. This is because I don’t use exact measurements, this may drive some of you crazy, but I was once told that bread is not an exact science and therefore to work on principles rather than exact amounts. That being said I do use measuring cups. Before measuring cups were available people still made bread so, don’t worry too much about exact measurements it will turn out ok as long as you are close to the amounts and at the end the dough pulls away from the bowl. The idea is to make a soft dough but not sticky. That makes for a light roll.
Roll your dough into a rectagle about a 1/4 inch thick.
Preheat oven to 350o F.
Once your rolls are rolled and cut you will let them sit for 15 minutes or until they begin to rise. Then you can throw them in the oven and cook them for 20-25 minutes.
Now what to put inside the roll? Let your imagination run wild, but here are a couple of ideas that we really like.

Philly Cheese Steak
8 oz Cream Cheese
2-3 heaping scoops of Mayonaise just to help the cream cheese more spreadable
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. Chipolte tabasco sauce (Note if you are afraid of the heat of the Chipolte, don't be you can't taste the heat, but it gives depth to the flavor.)
1 Bell Pepper Chopped
1 Medium Onion Chopped
1 lbs ground beef.
1 1/2 Cups grated Swiss Cheese.
Sauté the onions, peppers, and meat together. Mix the Cream Cheese, Mayo, Worcestershire sauce, and Chipolte tabasco sauce together and  then spread it on the rolled out dough. Sprinkle the sautéed ingredients over the top of your other mixture sprinkle Swiss Cheese over that and roll the dough like you would cinnamon rolls. Cut them 1 1/2 inches and place them an inch apart on a cooking sheet. Let set for 15 minutes then throw them in the oven.

Pizza rolls
Spread  Alfredo sauce on rolled out dough then add your favorite ingredients. Obviously Red sauce will work as well. Roll that puppy up and follow the previous instructions.

Ranch Rolls
8 oz Cream cheese
2-3 heaping scoops of  Mayo
1/2 Pkg  of dry ranch seasoning
2 Cups of Hamburger or Ham
2 Cups of Grated Cheese of your choice

I could add several more but there are plenty of other sites that will get your culinary imagination going. I just wanted to share these ones because they were such a hit at our New Years party as well our dinner tonight.
Now, I think I will go pull out my dumb bells and work some of this off again. Hope you enjoy! I know we did. Winking smile 
Dinner Rolls1
Kid Tested and approved :)

No comments: