December 3, 2010

Poverty Is A Bad Habit

Poverty is not just the lack of finances it is a mentality. There are many who have money, but they don't know how to use it. They spend more than they make, on things that they do not need. There is nothing wrong with buying that which you want, so long as you take care of your needs first. There are also those who have no money but they have hope, and they are truly rich.
At this time of Year we often feel sorry for ourselves when we do not have money to buy our children the things they want, so we over extend ourselves and we go into debt. Sometimes we spend because it helps us feel hopeful, but it is a false sense of hope. Poverty comes when the reality of that false sense of hope reveals itself to us. Just as any other bad habit poverty becomes a cycle. We do it to feel strong, like we are in control, but in reality each time we spend it begins to control us more and more. Learning how to do with, reuse, or do without is a principle that your children will be blessed to understand. However, we must walk them through why we are doing it or they are likely to return to our own cycle of hopeless spending.
Have a truly Merry Christmas this Season.
Remember the real gift that Santa Gives.... http://thegiftthatsantagives.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Heather said...

Well said! I love how you put it into words! I see this with a lot of people I love. We do need to be happy with the things we have not with things we don't have. My mother always told us kids, "We may not have a lot of money but we are rich because we have you kids." That is a lesson that will stick with me forever. I am grateful I was taught this principle and I hope I can teach Ayla the same principle!

I am so glad you showed me your blog! I look forward to ready it!

Heather said...

I read the Christmas gift link you put on this post. It was wonderful! It reminded me of the book "I Believe in Santa." It is a childrens book so it is a short read. It talks about how Santa is the symbol of Christ. At the end of the book it has a list of the symbols of Christmas. I love to read this book every year. If you want to see it, I will show it to you.

Cory Milligan said...

We actually have that book, It is one our favorites as well. I love that book.

Cory Milligan said...

Thank you Heather. :)