August 9, 2011

Honey Wheat Oat Bread

Sometimes I get the hankering to create my own recipes. I usually go for a search on the internet and browse sites gleaning the principles of the recipes that I find interesting, then I start with a basic recipe and adjust different ingredients until it works. I like a simple base to work off such as this recipe. I will then experiment with things like adding basil or maybe even cheese. I might add cinnamon or whatever, but now that I have my base to work off of I can have fun. I hope you enjoy. I know that we certainly have.

2 Cups Warm Water
2 TBS Yeast
3/4 TBS Salt
1/4 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Oil.
3 Cups Wheat Flour
1 Cup White Flour
1 1/2 Cups Oat Flour
2 TBS of dough enhancer

Sprinkle Yeast on top of Warm Water and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. If the yeast has fallen to the bottom of the water and seems not to be growing I like sprinkling a small pinch of brown sugar around. It is kinda fun watching the yeast start to fizz and rise to the top of the water.
After the yeast is activated I add the oil, honey, and salt. I like to put the oil and honey in the same container, oil first then honey, it make the honey come out easier. After that the dough enhancer and flours. I knead the dough in the machine for 10 minutes then divide it in two and form them into loaves and put them in greased loaf pans and let them rise til the double in size. Preheat oven to 350 degrees while you are waiting for the dough to rise. Then bake in oven for about 30 minutes or until the bread is browned and sounds hollow. If you like your crust soft, like I do, then I spread butter over the top.

Note: Oat flour= uncooked oatmeal run through the blender.

No comments: