August 17, 2011

Don't Give Up On Yourself

Sometimes we have to realize we are, and we are not alike. Each of us are individuals and we have to come to the conclusion that just because someone else can, does not mean that we can...yet. There is no reason to give up on ourselves if someone else is faster than us, better than us, or more graceful than us. When we start something we have never done before we have to assume that we are going to run into problems we have never dealt with before. Life is just that way. We rarely are graceful when we start doing exercise, but the more we do the better we get at it. I can't tell you how many times I have done different move mores where I felt like the ugly duckling bowing before swans. I wish I would have recorded my first attempts... Well, maybe not, but it probably would have given encouragement to many. I will just say that coordination is still not one of my strengths, but I just keep moving more and enjoying it.

The Logan Run

Last Saturday we drove to Logan to run the first 9 miles of the 1/2 marathon. Amy, Joe, Joe's Dad Norm, and myself were driven up to the top of the course by DeeAnn and my family. We planned it out that DeeAnn would meet us along the way, as we have become accustom to the past few weeks.
I felt really good starting off, but this week after visiting the Chiropractors instead of my hip hurting in the back of the joint, it was the front of my hip that seemed a bit tight. I kept a pretty good pace through the canyon, it really helped to have my family cheering us on. Matt would hand me my water then say, "Go, go, go, daddy. Hurry up. You are doing Great!" That kept me going through mile 6, but as we hit the winding country road we leveled off and my hip started causing me problems. The problem with my hip doesn't seem to be the pain directly, I think I could push through the pain, but it seems to just wear on my nerves and weaken the ability of my muscles to respond to my demands. The fatigue factor just kills me. I made it 9 miles which was our scheduled run, but I came up short about 200 yards from the location we had chosen to meet. I walked about 50 yards and sprinted the last 70 yards or so.
The competitor in me finds it mentally challenging when my body does not allow my mind the opportunity to finish. I have to remind myself that I new that I would be testing my limits from the get go so I have found my limits when I am not at 100%. Hopefully by the time of the race my body will have had enough time to heal and I can see if I can reach a new limit.
One more adventure in Moving More. 

No comments: