August 1, 2012

You Are Not The Exception

When we are obedient the reasons for rules and guidelines are obvious and you can see that they are given to keep us safe. However, when we are disobedient we tend to think we are the exception to the rule, that we can go against the guidelines and rules and we will be just fine. I am the first to admit that I have not been one to fall in love with guidelines and rules. I have fought them and in some cases I have ignored them. Sad thing is I understand why we have them, but my natural man is sometimes thinks I can out smart the wisdom of experience.

When we are given guidelines to protect us not only from without, but also from within. Being disobedient to wise counsel is like taking off your armor in the middle of battle. Not only are you putting yourself at risk trying to look like the hero, but you are also putting your buddies at risk. In a moment of arrogance rather than being a help, you become a great burden upon those around you who are trying to protect you. That arrogance is not the spirit of freedom, but the spirit of rebellion. And in the end when the battle is over the power that we thought we had in our arrogant state will end up in a heap on the ground with our soul.

Show me someone who is the exception in excellence and I will show you someone who is exceptionally obedient... The desire to be excellent is a powerful motivator to discover and obey the laws that others do not know yet.

No comments: