September 19, 2011

If I Can Walk It I Can Run It


The Saturday before last, my family decided that we would have some fun up at the University of Utah 5k. The event was to kick off Health Week at the University and bring awareness to Atrial fibrillation.
So, bright and early we headed out for the 5k. Matt was his usual grumpy self not wanting to go anywhere, but once we got him out of the van he was excited to be there. As we wandered over to the starting line Matt paused and reminded us that we need to stretch. He then started doing a runners stretch and then touched his toes and then as we were finishing our stretches he started shaking his legs loosening them up, and said, "We got get ready to run."
As the race got underway we kind of held back so that the registered runners could run ahead of us. As we continued through the campus we made the first mile with little problem. We stopped at the water station and continued on. Matt kept running so, while we intended to run or walk together, Spence decided to fall back so DeeAnn stayed with him. Matt just kept running so I kept running with him. As we were running Matt just kept talking and talking about all kinds of stuff, but he made one statement that revealed where he was getting his energy to run. He said, "I told myself, if I can walk it, I can run it."...and he did. He ran the whole way.
We have the ability to draw upon that same power if we just believe. Let this motto rise from within, "If I can walk it I can run it." Let that seed grow in your heart until you can sit no longer... Then Start Walking!

No comments: