December 10, 2008

Anna's Response to illegal immigration

This past semester I took a class on Mexican American culture. Through out the semester I really struggled with the message that I thought the teacher was presenting. I am not one to try to please the teacher with answers that I think she wants to here, but I also have a desire to get good grades. So, I am not one to actively seek out a fight either, although I will stand up for what I believe.
During the mid term test I struggled, as it involved a great deal of essay answers. Mentally it was excruciating as I tried to give the answers that I felt in my heart, while not appearing agitated or disgusted with what I was reading in my books.
Later, I found out that the teacher often has classes that want to ban immigration all together, so the approach is more to bring people to the middle, where immigration is positive without condoning illegal immigration.
I watched our message board closely, to see how others were reacting to the class as well and I was pretty discouraged. I saw a movement from prejudice to reverse discrimination. Then I came across these two entries that kind of summed up what I felt was happening one the one hand, and how I felt on the other hand.
Understand that Anna grew up under the Communist regime of Russia, and after Slovenia gained its independence she was able to come here legally on a visa. I have grown to have a very high respect for her. I did not include the name on the question as I did not feel it relevant it was the feeling that I think many had according to the other questions that were asked.
I did not want to edit Anna’s answer as the emotion was absolutely felt in her broken English.
I don’t know what it was, but it made me cry when I realized that she understood the difference between how some Americans treat others and what AMERICA has done for so many.


Racism author's name withheld
When I first started to take this class I was very racist. If I would drive down the street and see rims that cost more than the actual car I would think, Mexican. Most of the time I was right too. I always wanted the Mexicans to go back to Mexico everyone else to go back to their Country. I admit that I was very close minded and this class has opened my eyes and changed my views. After reading about how much Americans have used Mexicans, I feel like we owe them alot. If that means that they work in America illegally, I am fine with that. I feel very guilty for the close minded attitude towards them. Does anyone else feel this way?

Author: Anna Sukupova Posted on: 11-07-08
racism First of all, it is brave you opened up and wrote about your feeling toward immigr. at second, I do not think it is O.K. do anything illegaly, it is not fair to people they DO obey the law, like me . Also , I do not think you owe anything to anyone. Unless you had hired immigrants and did not pay them for work they have done for you. ;) OR you are member of US Congress capable to fix immigration issues. Evidentally, they have not done good job so far. The guilt should go to people they have have power to make changes, - US govern. , state governm. , and first of all Mexican governm to improve living conditions for their own citizens, so they are motivated to live at home. What is happening in US is actually unethical capitalism creating internationalist policies based on greed which destroy America’s domestic manufacturing base for cheap labor ,domestic businesses supporting porous southern border, and threatening national security for collateral retail profits from drug trafficking, all types of border smuggling, cheap illegal wages, foreign criminal investments, and profits from related social problems etc.. I do not feel as I should feel guilty for that . Mexican immigrants can make choice for themselves where and how they want to live. I am really sorry for all illegal immigrants, they have to face some problems in this country. I have some Latino friends, they are just great people and hard workers. But ! have you ever thought , that they are people in the world , they are living much worse life then Mexican immigrants in US. ?? ! But not everybody can come and live in States. USA is not a " dream land "anymore and has to face its own troubles. I came only because US governm. offered me visa for 10 years with permit to work and study . But I learned language before I even came. I do obey each single law of this coountry and pay taxes, just like you. As for me , this class is very interesting, but I really would not make my opinion or attitude based on two books and couple of disscussions. Be honest , If an illegal immigrant pays thousands of $$ for shiny rims on tires, does he really have such as " poor life ?? ;))this is my answer to your question, and I answered as the immigrant . anna.

No comments: